Thursday, June 24, 2010

Forcing Fitness

I have taken on a new challenge. The hope is that it will contribute to crossing numbers 18 and 19 off my 40 by 40 list, but we'll see.

A fitness studio near me is conducting a 21-Day Study, during which non-exercisers* attend three classes per week for three weeks for FREE. The goal is basically to find out whether forcing people to attend class regularly will help us eventually do it by choice. (And yes, obviously they hope you want to keep exercising and pay them for it after three weeks.)

It's smart on many levels because it gets us exercise-challenged folks there (which we've established has been a challenge), it gets us comfortable with exercise (which we are probably not) and then just when we'll probably be seeing results, asks us to start paying. Fortunately, I'm comfortable being manipulated when it comes with free stuff.

I have to say they're pretty hardcore. I went for orientation today and had to commit to a schedule right then and there. Thanks to the compatibility issues between my Mac, my work schedule in Outlook, and my Blackberry, that meant I arrived with a stack of paper calendars and proceeded to spend a good 30 minutes trying to figure out how to fit all of these classes in between work, kid activities and our upcoming family trip to D.C.

The end result is that I'll be attending four days of classes in a row before we leave for our trip...I'm a little nervous this might actually make me hate exercising more, but, as I was reminded several times today, if we miss a class, we're out and we have to pay $25, and I am determined to get my nine free classes!

Yep, so basically what I'm saying is that losing weight, getting in shape, and feeling better are all fine and good, but if you really want to get me off the couch, you better throw in a coupon.

*I fell off the treadmill wagon months ago

No comments: