Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Something

I write. I delete. I write. I delete.

I am conflicted between wanting to express what I've been feeling about this latest incident with the teenager and this feeling that it's private...or maybe just that it's boring. I mean, aren't we all just a little tired of the ongoing saga of my wayward stepson? I know I'm tired. I get the feeling my friends and family are tired of it.

I guess there just isn't much more anyone can say...we're beyond surprise or alarm. We're in full-on acceptance of the fact that nothing is going to change unless 1) he decides to change it, and 2) the people around him decide, as Jeff VanVonderen always says, "There's nothing we won't do to help you get better, but there's nothing we will do to help this continue." Enabling sucks.

And so, I'm done talking about that topic for now. Even though it colors everything else I talk about...

There are bigger things happening in the world. People are experiencing tragedy they did not ask for and could not have prevented. And my heart goes out to them. I want to reach through the television and rescue those tiny orphans. Instead, I sent my donation. And good thoughts. Because at least it's something and something seems a lot better than nothing.

No comments: