Saturday, January 23, 2010

Eat Pie, Be Happy


Are you eating pie right now? You should be, because it's National Pie Day! Let us all celebrate the wonder of flakey crust and gooey fillings. Let's also celebrate the fact that our nation has a Pie Council...what a good job that must be.

In honor of this holiday, the boys and I are making Cookie Cake Pie. It's a cheater pie, I know, but doesn't it just make you smile (in an "I'm gaining 20 lbs. right now" sort of way)? And no, this undertaking will not allow me to cross off #2 from my 40 by 40 list. I intend to make a real pie for that one, complete with the homemade crust...people tell me that it's easy, but I made the mistake of taking a pie-making class a little while back and the pastry chef who taught that class did not make it look easy. Her pie was fantastic, but it intimidated me.

Days devoted to baked goods are just nice, aren't they? This pie holiday made me think "There should be a National Cupcake Day!" and then, of course, it turns out there is a National Cupcake Day: Dec. 15. How this information escaped me until now, I'm not sure. Shouldn't the Food Network have had a day of special programming or something?

I guess I will have to bake and eat many, many cupcakes between now and the next Cupcake Day in order to compensate...

So anyway, Happy National Pie Day! What better excuse to eat pie? Lots and lots of pie.


2 comments:

~Michelle @ Don't Eat That Cookie~ said...

Have you come across "The Pioneer Woman Cooks" website yet? She uses photos of every step of her recipes, with clever and entertaining writing. Then at the bottom is a summarized recipe easily printed off. So far I've tried a few of her things (I'm not much of a cook) and have found them so easy to follow and super tasty!
The link above is to her pie recipes. The last recipe is for Perfect Pie Crust. It looks easy enough even *I* might try it!

E Erickson said...

I like pie - especially making 'cheater pies'. They still count as dessert in my book, and I don't think anything's wrong with making something easy...you still made it!