Sunday, January 17, 2010

Happy Ending Pending

Did you know that when your child turns 18, the ER will still call you if he is admitted, but they won't be able to tell you anything? So you'll be forced to go down there completely clueless, thinking terrible thoughts the entire way, wondering what you're going to be told when you arrive.

I actually spoke the sentence, "If they were asking you to come identify a body, they would have told you that, right?" I'm going to assume the answer to that question is yes. I hope that I never have to find out for myself.

Without going into detail, let's just say the teenager delivered our very own Just Say No-themed afterschool special this morning, only it remains to be seen whether our protagonist will fully comprehend the moral of story.

He is okay. I feel a combination a relief and anger. I'm frustrated and sad. I wonder if this will be that long-awaited moment when enough is enough. When it won't be worth it anymore. When the bad finally outweighs the good.

I feel like this sequence of events is out of order, like this should have happened sooner, before other things that have happened. The perceived inevitability makes it feel like an item on a checklist, like it's what we knew would happen...like because it hadn't happened yet, he wasn't really going to move forward.

I think what I'm trying to say is that I want to believe something positive will come out of this. I don't know what else to do.

No comments: