Sunday, July 19, 2009

The life of Jimmy

This is Jimmy. A few hours ago, Jimmy was living the wild and crazy carny life, traveling from town to town, swimming around in his 150 mL of water, tricking kids and young lovers out of their dollar bills with the promise of winning him or one of his brethren by landing a ping pong ball in one of their tiny fish bowls.

Then my kids came along. Now, Jimmy probably had no clue his life was about the change, what with the less-than-stellar aim my kids showcased with all 14 of their ping pong balls...but just as my kids were sighing their sighs of defeat (and my husband and I were sighing sighs of relief at having not just acquired a new pet), the man running the game surprised us with Jimmy, all nicely packaged in a ziploc bag. 

Having stopped at Petsmart on the way home to get Jimmy a spacious new fish bowl and some food, we are now hoping he will survive his transition to the quiet suburban life. But, as Aidan somberly noted on our way home from the carnival, "We will love him as long as he lasts."

Judging from the worsening tilt in Jimmy's float, I'm thinking that won't be very long.

2 comments:

China said...

Yeah, (deep sigh) he does look a little diseased. Oh well, but wasn't it nice of the guy to give you a dying fish after you spnet $20 dollars on ping pong balls?

KK said...

Yes, I am saddened to report that almost immediately after I posted this blog, our beloved Jimmy went to fish heaven. Maybe that man thought my kids needed a lesson in mortality?