Saturday, June 6, 2009

In Defense of That Mom

Yesterday at this time I was about to post a blog mid-freakout over my boys' sixth birthday party. I had both over and under planned it - as in, I had come up with lots of components (too many, really) and then never really got around to the logistics. 

This left me running around yesterday gathering all the food and supplies, with a break in there to attend the boys' kindergarten graduation. (Side note: Aidan spontaneously fell off the riser mid-"Skidamarink." He was fine. I laughed. It was just so...him.) 

When five o'clock rolled around and the minivans began arriving, I was just hoping to pull the whole thing off with as little judgement from the other moms as possible. (I know, my goal should have been that all the kids have fun, but I figured that was the easy part.)

In the end (and in spite of my lack of preparation) the party was an unequivocal success. The bouncy house elicited much screaming and laughter. The magic show boggled the kids' little minds. Pizza was eaten and cupcakes were decorated. Everyone had fun and everyone left happy. 

But in a Kate Gosselin-like turn, I've now become that mom. The one who throws over-the-top parties that garner scorn from all other moms because their children now expect such things at their own parties. (And lest you think I'm being paranoid, let me assure you that I had the opportunity to confirm this fact at the birthday party my boys attended today.)

The idea of me being that mom is both alarming and hilarious. And so, even though I don't think any of my boys' friends' moms read my blog, please allow me to defend myself:

We got the bouncy house because it's what we've done for the past 3 years. I can't think of any better way to both contain and exhaust a large group of children. 

My husband suggested that we invite his magician friend as a surprise because the boys (Owen in particular) fell in love with his tricks when they saw him perform at the Renaissance Festival last summer. I didn't know that he actually did a show, I just thought he would mingle with the kids, doing street magic. 

As for the decorate-your-own cupcakes...it was a fun and cost-effective alternative to buying two cakes (and figuring out what each boy wanted on his cake). I actually recommend it to anyone. 

So, sorry other moms. I didn't mean to screw your more modest plans for your kid's party. But please remember, I only get to throw one party a year...for two kids. And, well, I think if my boys have to share their birthdays with someone forever, their parties should be awesome. And believe me, I'm trying not to mention the fact that the day, six years ago, when my boys arrived in this world wasn't a fairy tale birthing experience, so I really do think we have a lot to celebrate.

Plus, it's not really about you.

1 comment:

GEF said...

That's right, it is indeed not about them. It's about you pulling off one mother of a party for two of the coolest kids on the planet. From one party planner to another, congrats on a successful event. Attention mothers, fair warning for next year, her house sits on enough land to offer pony rides.