Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Determination and snot

Does warm weather in Minnesota always come with illness? I mean, it's no wonder we'd get sick with it going from 50 to 90 in approximately four seconds, but I guess I always block out the getting sick part of summer starting...

Anyway, I'm feeling a bit hermit-like. It's enough that I work from home, but add in Aidan being home sick for a couple days and I just haven't really been outside much. I love the new job, but if this is what it's like in warm, sunny weather, I'm a teensy bit worried that once the snow falls, I will stop leaving my bed. Or maybe that's just the constant sinus pressure talking.

Now, I know I can't mention my sinuses without someone suggesting a neti pot, so neti pot enthusiasts, listen up: I've decided to give the damn thing another try.

The thing is, it doesn't work. Sure, it's uncomfortable and makes me feel a bit like I'm drowning - as I assume pouring salt water into your head would - but the main issue I'm having is that the water never emerges from the other side of my nasal cavity, thus failing to take the nastiness with it. All that salt water is probably still sloshing around in there as I type this.

But, unlike previous forays into neti-land, I'm not giving up this time. I am determined to experience the magic of the neti pot for myself. I've watched the instructional video. I've read the ringing endorsements. I am ready to be convinced. Then again, my attention span is short, so let's hope the thing impresses me soon.

2 comments:

Butch Roy said...

I have never been so attracted to you.

Voix said...

I don't know if you've gotten to the other side of the crud yet, but as someone who's had chronic sinus infections for most of my adult life, I'll offer this anyway -- I found the neti worked best if done in the morning after using a steriod nasal spray the night before. Darn those clogged passages! Hope you're feeling better.