Sunday, April 18, 2010

Birds Flying High

It wasn't all that long ago that I was agonizing over whether or not to go back to work full-time, ultimately deciding that I wanted to hold onto being able to greet my boys as they got off the bus for as long as I could. And I'm glad I did, because it makes all the changes now afoot in my house much, much easier.

You see, my husband and I have pulled a switcharoo again: He quit his job of crazy travel and I accepted a full-time gig. I could tell you that it was all part of some grand plan we concocted before we had kids, in which we set out to tag team career and family, but the reality is that when we tried to figure out how to A) keep my husband in town so that he could resume pulling half the parenting weight, while B) maintaining health insurance, it became fairly clear that it was time for me to go back to work full time.

So yes, the decision for me to go back to being the "health insurance monkey" (as Ayun Halliday says in "The Big Rumpus") was made out of necessity. But then the most amazing thing happened: I found a job that I actually wanted! With health insurance and without a cubicle. Even better, I actually got hired!

So here we go again, a new job, a new household dynamic, and a renewed sense of excitement at being good at something other than mommyhood.

Cue the Michael Buble.

4 comments:

Voix said...

Crazy how things work out sometimes. Congrats and good luck - it was a pleasure to meet you in real life on Friday.

KK said...

Thank you and it was nice to meet you too!

E Erickson said...

congratulations.

kristi said...

Best wishes in your new gig!