Monday, May 4, 2009

Science and Luck

TIME magazine ran an interesting article today about new research suggesting that autism can be detected in infancy. Perhaps more interesting is that the researchers think that if autism is identified early enough (say, by 18 months), parents can learn to interact with their kids in such a way that would "protect [them] from becoming fully autistic."

Now, I'm not a big fan of theories that place the responsibility for autism on the shoulders of the parents (I think moms feel too guilty as it is), but I am intrigued by this idea that the disorder can be curbed, to an extent, by a set of actions during toddlerhood. If that's true, I would think we'd want all parents interacting with their kids in this special way - better safe than sorry, right?

On a more personal level, what this research confirms for me is that we are truly lucky to have had twins. I think that Owen defies many of the common traits of autism because he's had a brother who does not have autism (I hesitate to call him neurotypical because he is, in all likelihood, a genius). Just having that bond with another person from birth has helped Owen learn to be aware of other people in a way that many autistic people struggle with. 

And while I'm not convinced that our parenting explains Owen's high level of functioning, I do think that having a twin who was on track with his development (or ahead, in some areas) did inadvertently cause us to hold Owen to those same expectations...and to notice the quirks in Owen and to work to help him "catch up" with his brother. (And yes, we did know that there was something just a little off about him before he had even turned one.)

I have often wondered what Owen would be like were he born an only child and I have to admit that I don't think he would be the same. 

I say all of this simply as a point of thought. I would never want to imply that anyone's parenting caused their child's autism, or caused it to be more severe. I don't believe that. 

I don't take credit for Owen's autism or his amazingness. He is who he is. 

But if it just so happens that the combination of having an exceptional twin, coupled with our complete naiveté of the possibility that he wouldn't be able to do anything his brother could do, has helped his brain overcome even one tiny speck of this disorder, then I guess we are even luckier than I knew. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw something once that had an Autism "test" that I believe said it could be done on kids as young as 6 months old. Pick the kid up and tilt them to the side. According to this test a "normal" child will attempt to keep their head level and the autistic child will allow their head to tilt along with the rest of their body. It's amazing with how long it has been around, and we still seem to know so very little about it.

kristi said...

TC went to daycare and that probably helped him a lot.