Friday, May 29, 2009

Kissing Bandit

The other night Aidan announced that he "just loves" his classmate. We'll call her "J," a precocious little girl whose ability to chatter rivals even Aidan's. 

Well, I thought, that's cute. But then he continued...

"I love her so much...that I tried to kiss her," he blurted out and then assumed a look of shock, as if someone else had just said it. 

I tried to contain my own shock (and laughter), as I asked, "And what did J think about that?"

"She didn't really like it," he said, matter-of-factly. 
"How could you tell?"
"She yelled, 'Don't kiss me!'"
"I see."

Upon further investigation, it seems that once J had turned him down, he went to dance class that evening and tried to kiss a girl in his dance class, who, he reports, "didn't really mind." Trollup.

OMG. Why is my five-year-old kissing girls? What has the world come to? Did I miss the episode of Word Girl that involved kissing?

Needless to say, we had a talk about how kissing is something that should wait a few years (decades?), but let it surprise no one when I get the call from some poor girl's mother, asking me to explain what turned my son into a kissing bandit. 

No comments: