Thursday, May 7, 2009

Goodbye, Oprah

Well, I'm officially swearing off Oprah. Last night I deleted my season pass on Tivo. 

She's been fairly cringe-worthy for the past year or three, what with all the unnecessary God talk and her ability to make anything and everything about her (Guest: "And then I watched my whole life crumble before me..." Oprah: "That reminds me of when I..."), but I still enjoyed the occasional look at hoarders or inspiring story about overcoming great odds, etc. But this latest deal with Jenny McCarthy pushed me over the edge. 

I get that Oprah and Jenny are BFFs now. It's clear that Oprah has no personal connection with autism (amazing, given the number of people she must know), or else she wouldn't be able to stomach the insanity either. But giving this woman her own show is really horrifying. 

As if her Oprah show appearances weren't damaging enough, now she'll be able to infiltrate people's lives on a daily basis, spouting her delusions and positioning herself as someone whom people should aspire to emulate. Imagine legions of women trotting their special needs children around like purse dogs, telling anyone who will listen that they've "cured" them using Google.   

Frightening, wrong, and completely irresponsible. I'm done. 

2 comments:

Kevin said...

No more Oprah???

What will you watch while you're lounging around all day eating bonbons?

China said...

Wow. I've had similar thoughts. She has been getting pretty gag-worthy. And Jenny... well. I saw her on GMA talking about environmental toxins as a possible autism trigger. There she sat with her chemical tan, chemically treated platinum hair, all those face chemicals...