Monday, June 6, 2011

Another Year Older

And so another birthday weekend has passed... 

I'm okay with being 34, but I'm having a hard time with this 8-year-old business. It's just so unbelievable that my babies are such big people...you'd think I would have seen it coming. Sigh. 

I won't give you the full play-by-play on all the festivities, but I do want to tell you that taking a group of 8-year-olds to a restaurant where they juggle knives and cook over open flame right in front of your face isn't the smartest idea. I mean, everything was fine and the kids had an amazing time, but as we sat down at our teppenyaki station, I couldn't help but think that I might be tempting fate. 

I also should tell you that iPod Shuffles are, in fact, the perfect gift for 8-year-olds. Owen actually asked if he could listen to his iPod rather than play Wii today. Sure, there's a lurking fear that I'm paving the way to a reclusive teenage-hood where they sit alone in their rooms listening to headphones (yes, I know, they're "ear buds") and refuse to speak to me, but I'm trying to keep a lid on that for now and instead enjoy the peace that comes from personal music players...even if the first thing Aidan bought from the iTunes store was Ke$ha. Seriously.

The end of birthday weekend also marked the beginning of the 10 Percent Challenge, which kicked off strong with a jog and a day of sensible eating (and no sweets!). More on that tomorrow. 

2 comments:

JennOvey said...

Happy -late- birthday!

KK said...

Thanks Jenn!