Sunday, March 28, 2010

Unburrowed

I have been re-energized after my bout with burrowing. My sinus infection is not any better - it might be worse, actually - but mentally, at least, I feel better.

Maybe Joan Jett is to thank? I saw The Runaways last night. It wasn't the best movie of all time, or even the best music biopic of all time, but it was good. Kristen Stewart makes a pretty decent Joan Jett and even Dakota Fanning is relatively believable as Cherie Currie. Plus, any excuse to listen to "Cherry Bomb" is fine with me.

In all seriousness, a lot of today's motivational mood is really coming from this girl, whom I had not heard about until today (thank you, Patti Digh), but who passed away yesterday. The video she made when she learned she was going to die is pretty moving - and pretty motivational in that what-the-hell-am-I-complaining-about-my-life-is-awesome kind of way.

If I had just gotten the news that I might only have a few days left to live, would I be able to smile and say how lucky I am to have had so much love in my life? Let's just say it wouldn't be my first reaction.

So today, in honor of Eva, I'm going to appreciate the fact that I have my health (mostly), that I am able to go for a walk in the sunshine with my kids, and that I am fortunate enough to be able to sit around pondering all of the things I want to accomplish, but have been too lazy and/or overwhelmed to actually do. Procrastination truly is a luxury that many people simply can't afford.

Now to turn all of these nice thoughts into something tangible...more to come.

1 comment:

hetyd4580 said...

Interesting blog, KK. There is a fascinating generational component to the Runaways story: Joan Jett, Cherie Curie, et al. are members of Generation Jones (born 1954-1965, between the Boomers and Generation X). Understanding the generational context to their story really fills in the picture.

Google Generation Jones, and you’ll see it’s gotten lots of media attention, and many top commentators from many top publications and networks (Washington Post, Time magazine, NBC, Newsweek, ABC, etc.) now specifically use this term. In fact, the Associated Press' annual Trend Report chose the Rise of Generation Jones as the #1 trend of 2009. . I found this page helpful because it gives a pretty good overview of recent media interest in GenJones: http://generationjones.com/2009latest.html