Tuesday, March 9, 2010

In the 'Hood

I'm behind on this, but still wanted to mention it: Parenthood, the show. Did you watch? I DVR'd it (R.I.P. Tivo) and finally watched in on Sunday. I like it.

I know it's contrived (aren't all TV shows contrived?), I know every character is some kind of vague caricature of a stereotype of some kind or another. But...I like it. I think it has potential.

But what I wanted to note specifically was the Asperger's/autism storyline (of course) because even though it wasn't perfect, the scene where the mom tells the dad that their son was diagnosed...it made me cry.

They were able to hit on the rawness of that moment...the emotion, the confusion that I think most people have when they find out. And that struggle between the parents...her trying to make him understand that she needs him to believe it, him saying that he won't let his son be put in special ed...it was familiar. It was hard to watch even a TV couple going through it.

I was impressed that they were able to hit that nerve in me, as I'm the person who could never watch the episodes on ER when they were in the NICU because of the gross oversimplifications and inaccuracies. But with this, so far, I'm in...maybe it's the whole Lauren Graham/Craig T. Nelson combo, not sure.

Yes, so the whole "It's my team" business at the end was fairly unbelievable, but I'm forgiving them that on the promise that they will ultimately help more people understand the sometimes quieter, more subtle, but no less gut-wrenching, struggles of having a child with autism. Don't let me down, NBC.

2 comments:

Brandy said...

Yeah ... that scene made me cry to, and there's a scene in this week's when they are talking to the doctor that I could totally relate to in regards to the husbands approach to solving problems. (Not sure if you've watched it yet, so I don't want to be a spoiler.)

KK said...

I did watch. Still not perfect, but I still like it.