Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Stuff that Dreams are Made of

Lots of excitement these days. Travel excitement. Potential job excitement (read: excitement about potential job). And now Olympics excitement!

I guess it took 32 years, but I'm totally hooked on the Olympics. I mean, I've always been mildly interested in the highlights, but now I could seriously sit and watch (almost) every event (sorry, hockey). The Visa commercials alone bring me to tears.

And as we sit on the couch eating chips with nacho cheese dip, I tell my kids that with a lot of practice and dedication, they, too, could be the best in the world at something. Although I secretly hope its not ski jumping, or luge, or...really anything involving plummeting downward at high speeds. Maybe they will be the best at chess. Yes, chess is a noble and un-dangerous pursuit.

Anyway, I believe it took all of 2 hours of watching the Olympics before we began plotting a family trip to the 2012 summer games in London. Because, really, how awesome would that be? Will it happen? Hard to say for sure, as we're still 2.5 years out, but it's a definite maybe. These are the types of experiences that can shape a young mind.

Oh, and since, in a loose sort of way, we're talking about making dreams come true, I want to mention a dream that my husband has and one which all of you can help make come true:

The man wants to open an improv theater here in Minneapolis. It's his dream. His quest. For all I know, it might even be what he was meant to do. He's got the heart, the passion, the ideas, the partners, and even the business plan. What he does NOT have is the physical space. He needs a building. And since they don't give buildings away for free, sadly, he needs money to make it happen.

So just in case you feel like supporting an artist in realizing his dream, check out the HUGE Theater website and think about giving $5, $10, or even that spare $10,000 dollars you've got lying around. It's tax deductible! And good for your soul, I'm quite sure.

(And even though this isn't about me, those of you who have a spouse with a dream they must achieve before it swallows them, can surely understand how making this happen will be good for my soul, as well.) Thanks.

No comments: