Monday, March 14, 2011

8-Minute Dinner


Exciting news! It's light outside past 5 p.m., which means I don't feel like putting on my pajamas and getting in bed as soon as I get home! (I wait at least one hour.)

More importantly, it means that even though I really didn't feel like making dinner when I got home with the boys tonight, I resisted the urge to grab fast food and instead, got creative. And so, I present to you my 8-Minute Fancy Shrimp! (I'm sorry, I have no photo. I didn't realize it was brilliant until we'd eaten it.)

8-Minute Fancy Shrimp
You will need:
-One bag of frozen uncooked shrimp
-One bag of "themed" frozen vegetables (I used Archer Farms Southwest-inspired corn and black bean seasoned vegetable blend)
-Barbecue sauce

1. Boil a pot of water
2. Microwave vegetables according to package
3. When water is boiling, throw in frozen shrimp and cook for 2-3 minutes (until they're pink)

Put vegetables on plate, top with shrimp, make fancy criss-cross drizzle with barbecue sauce.

Ta-da! It's like you went out to eat for free!

You could do this with any theme. For example, with "Asian-inspired" vegetables, you'd just sub teriyaki sauce for the barbecue. I'm pretty sure the possibilities are endless.

(And btw, I just learned that you can boil frozen shrimp - my life is transformed.)

Top Chef, here I come!

No comments: