Wednesday, January 26, 2011

In Bloom

For those of you who might also be experiencing the typical late-January subzero blues, I'm here to tell you that I've discovered a ray of hope in an unlikely place (for me, anyway): Flowers! That I'm growing! And it's all thanks to the magic of the Watch 'Em Grow.

Now, I'll be honest and tell you that I have no experience with any other kind of planter, so I don't exactly know how this one compares, but what I DO know is that I've never kept any type of plant alive...I probably should have put that on my 40 by 40 list: "Keep a living thing that cannot tell you when it's hungry alive."

Well, if I had put that on my list, I'd now be checking it off. I might even be starting to understand the whole gardening phenomenon.

Now I'll be even more honest and tell you that the only reason I got this particular plant is because my friend works at Bachman's and offered to send me one as part of a marketing thing. And so while most recipients were probably evaluating the planter on its beauty, I took this on as a challenge to see whether I could keep it alive. I've been posting progress for my friends to see on Facebook, but I think this thing is so cool that I decided to blog about it, too.

I got the thing two weeks ago. And it looked like this:

And then with nothing more than a little water, I was greeted with this:
And now it looks like this!
I seriously only have to water it every other day and it seems like almost every morning a new kind of flower pokes its pretty little head up and says "Hello! January has not killed off all living things!" It makes me happy - especially because the view outside is pretty bleak.

I think I know what everyone is getting for Christmas this year...

1 comment:

~Michelle @ Don't Eat That Cookie~ said...

We could use a few blooms around here too! Congratulations for keeping them alive. :D

This MN winter has been harder than usual for me. I know how to dress for the cold, so I don't fret too much about getting out and about. Unfortunately with the new baby I'm staying in WAY more (don't want him to get too cold) and getting some serious cabin fever!