Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Day One (Lunchables are Evil)

Apparently first grade is all about lunch. When my boys got off the bus today, that is all that I heard...I guess eating lunch at school is far more fascinating than I remember.

Oh, but it's exciting stuff. The Lunchables that I let myself be talked into buying as a special first day treat, turned out to be just as complicated as I had predicted and one of Owen's precious pizza crusts fell on the floor. And then pizza crust number two was "an absolute disaster," according to him. It is unclear how the one he ate was more of a disaster than the one that fell on the floor, but I think it had something to do with his idea that the first pizza would be the one with the pizza sauce and the second would be the "treatza" (essentially chocolate frosting with rainbow sprinkles). I don't know, those things should have an age warning on them.

Aidan had some trouble with his Lunchable as well, but he was just as happy to chime in about Owen's lunch meltdown, which he witnessed from the neighboring table because they are in separate classes this year(!).

However, my favorite synopsis of the day came from Owen, when I asked if he paid attention in class today. "Yeah," he said. "I was 78% focused." Well, okay then.

Here's to doing it all again tomorrow! Minus the Lunchables.

3 comments:

MinuteCynic said...

We went the Lunchable route just once. Just one memorable day with the fashionable meal. That was also the same day we had the first of many talks with Jack about eating only ONE lunch per day, and that the hot lunch line, isn't intended to "supplement" that empty feeling - (apparently Oscar Meyer grossly underestimates my child's potential appetite.)

I can't be sure what impresses me the most: The 78% Focused statistic itself, or the masterful self-awareness it would take to arrive at such a number with confidence. I mean, I intended to be focused today, but then I started thinking about how good my coffee was tasting, and then... (Yeah, I just did that...)

Well done to your boys. Here's to a better day 2.

P.S. - For a boy, every grade is pretty much about lunch. Once they discover gym and girls, it'll be a tough call, but in the end, the midday meal will always be their first love. Thought you should know.

KK said...

I appreciate your insight into the boy brain. I had no idea.

Brandy said...

I enjoy reading the great experiences with the boys. I consider it a primer for what I need to prepare myself for!